After finding out you are expecting a baby, you probably started thinking of baby names. This child is such a blessing you may want to honor God with their name. With that being said choosing a name isn’t easy (especially with everyone’s opinions nowadays)! But if you are looking for a Modern Christian Baby Name, I’ve found my favorites along with their meaning.
When choosing a name for your new baby, it can be hard to decide on the right one. It’s often a difficult decision because there are so many names out there. On top of that, you have friends and family members throwing out their opinion too.
Whether you’re having a new baby girl or boy, choosing a name is never easy. In order to help you in your search, I’ve come up with a list of some of the best Christian baby names and their meanings.
Also if you are struggling to decide on a name, I highly recommend that you start praying about it. In the mean time, you can download my (FREE) pregnancy prayer cards to begin praying over your little one.
Modern Christian Boy Names
In the Bible, there are many examples of boys who become men after God’s heart. These Christian boy names speak to the strength that your little one will one day have. Men are called to be leaders in their homes when they get older, and many of these names are a reminder that God will be with them every step of the way.
- Aaron- Aaron is a Hebrew name meaning exalted or strong.
- Abraham- Abraham is a Hebrew name meaning father of nations.
- Adam- Adam is a Hebrew name meaning man of the Earth.
- Aidan- Aidan is an Irish name meaning little fire.
- Asher-Asher is Hebrew for Happy or Blessed
- Benjamin- Benjamin is a Hebrew name meaning son of my right hand.
- Bennett- Bennett is a Latin name meaning little blessed one.
- Caleb- Caleb is a Hebrew name meaning whole-hearted.
- Dylan- Dylan is a Welsh name meaning son of the sea.
- Elijah- Elijah is a Hebrew name meaning my God is Yahweh.
- Elliot- Elliot is an English name meaning the Lord is my God.
- Ethan- Ethan is a Hebrew name meaning firm or strong.
- Felix- Felix is a Latin name meaning happy and prosperous.
- Gabriel- Gabriel is a Hebrew name meaning God is my strength.
- Henry- Henry is a German name meaning ruler of the home.
- Ian- Ian is a Scottish name meaning God is gracious.
- John- John is a Hebrew name meaning God is gracious.
- Maddock- Maddock is a Welsh name meaning good.
- Matthew- Matthew is an English name meaning gift of God.
- Nathan- Nathan is a Hebrew name meaning he gave.
- Ryan- Ryan is an Irish name meaning descendant of the king.
- Silas- Silas is Latin for wood.
Pin this Image to Your Pinterest Board, so you don’t lose it!
Christian Boy Double-Names
(Check Out the BEST Bible Verses for Little Boys)
Modern Christian girl names
If you’re trying to find a name for your little princess, these Christian girl names are a good place to start. There are many examples in the Bible of women who go through so much but continue to praise the Lord because he gives them strength. Each of these names symbolize the strength, grace, and fortitude that a woman who follows the Lord must have.
- Abigail- Abigail is a Hebrew name meaning joy of the father.
- Adalyn- Adalyn is an American name meaning noble.
- Amanda- Amanda is a Latin name meaning worthy of love.
- Audrey- Audrey is an English name meaning noble strength.
- Beth- Beth is an English name meaning God is my oath.
- Brielle- Brielle is a French name meaning God is my strength.
- Caitlyn- Caitlyn is an Irish name meaning pure.
- Catalina- Catalina is a Spanish name meaning pure.
- Charlotte- Charlotte is a French name meaning free.
- Eden- Eden is a Hebrew name meaning paradise.
- Elizabeth- Elizabeth is a Hebrew name meaning God is my oath.
- Grace- Grace is a Latin name meaning charm.
- Hannah- Hannah is a Hebrew name meaning grace.
- Heidi- Heidi is a German name meaning of noble kin.
- Hope- Hope is an English name meaning desire of fulfillment.
- Isabella- Isabella is an Italian name meaning God is my oath.
- Josie- Josie is an English name that means God increases. [Check Out the BEST Middle Name Ideas for Josie]
- Kaylee- Kaylee is an American name meaning who is like God?
- Martha- Martha is a Hebrew name meaning lady.
- Ruth- Ruth is a Hebrew name meaning friendship.
- Sophia- Sophia is a Greek name meaning wisdom.
[For more UNIQUE Biblical Baby Girl Names, Check These Out!]
Pin this Image to Your Pinterest Board, so you don’t lose it!
Christian Girl Double-Names
(Check Out the BEST Bible Verses for Little Girls)
Modern Christian Unisex Names
If you’re having trouble picking a name, you may be looking for something that could fit either a girl or a boy. Maybe you’re not finding out the gender of your baby until after the birth but you want to go ahead and pick a name out. Nowadays, there are some many names that are acceptable for either a boy or a girl. Here are some of the best unisex names and their meanings.
- Ada- Ada is a German name meaning prosperous or happy.
- Austin- Austin is an English name meaning great.
- Emery- Emery is an English name meaning brave or powerful.
- Frankie- Frankie is an American name meaning free one.
- Jesse- Jesse is a Hebrew name meaning God’s gift.
- Jordan- Jordan is a Hebrew name meaning to flow down.
- Kadin- Kadin is an American name meaning companion or friend.
- Kennedy- Kennedy is an Irish name meaning helmeted warrior.
- London- London is an English name meaning fortress.
- Micah- Micah is a Hebrew name meaning who is like God?
(Check out Bible Verses for Babies)
Importance of Choosing a Name
Many new parents may choose their new baby’s name solely based on the way it sounds. It certainly is something to consider when choosing a name for your baby since their name will follow them for the rest of their lives. But in a Biblical context, a child’s means so much more.
In the Bible, names tie each person to their origin and sometimes their calling. Simon is one example of this in the Bible. Simon’s name means “God has heard” or “one who hears or obeys.” Simon the fisherman was one of the first to hear the call of Jesus and become one of his disciples. Even Jesus himself has meaning behind his name as the name Jesus means God is salvation, or savior.
Our names have meaning because God knows our name before we’re even born. Psalm 139: 15-16 says “My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” (NIV)
As Christians, we must be purposeful and intentional when choosing a name for our child.
How to Choose a Baby Name
When you understand the weight a name can carry, the idea of choosing one can seem overwhelming. There are so many possible names out there with so many different meanings. If you still need to choose a name for your little one and aren’t sure where to start, here are some tips to help you decide:
- Pray about it
As simple as it sounds, you never know what calling the Lord might have on your child’s life. If there is a specific name he would like you to choose, ask him to reveal it to you. If you’re looking to choose a Biblical name, you might pray about this as you’re reading the word. Ask God to point you to a book in the Bible that might help you reflect on the meaning behind your child’s name.
- Be open-minded
Some new parents have had their baby names picked out since they were a child themselves. If you already know what you want to name your baby, there’s nothing wrong with that. However, it’s also a good idea to be open-minded in case you find a name that fits better.
- Always look up the meaning
There are plenty of beautiful names out there, and it’s okay to choose a name based on how it sounds. But as Christians, it’s important for us to know the meaning behind our child’s name as well. If you come across a name you like, look up the meaning and origin of it. If it’s the right name for your child, the meaning will be significant as well.
- Make sure you and your spouse are on the same page
It may seem like a stereotyping when picking out baby names, but it’s not uncommon for you and your spouse to disagree. If you’re going to choose a name for your child, it’s important that your spouse is on board with the chosen name as well. Choosing a name is an activity that you and your partner should do together and pray about together.
To Wrap Up…
To some parents, the name of their child may seem insignificant. Many parents might choose a name without ever knowing the meaning or origin behind it. As Christians, we know that names in the Bible can tell a lot about a person. Many Biblical figures had names that represented their origin, purpose, and sometimes their characteristics.
There isn’t one right way to choose a name for your little one, but like everything else, the decision should be made prayerfully. You will be surprised what God may speak to you when you quiet your heart and listen for his voice.
Whether you know right away what you will name your child or need to take time to research, a name can be a powerful thing. As you pray for your little one, ask the Lord to help you choose the perfect name for them.
Below is a Pinterest friendly photo… so you don’t lose this post!
Other Posts You Might Enjoy….
- Bible Verses for New Baby
- Bible Verses for Your Baby’s Nursery
- Bible Verses for Birth Announcement Card